April is Prevent Child Abuse Month–Scott County Happenings:
April is quickly approaching, and the Scott County Council of Prevent Child Abuse is working diligently to bring attention and messages of child abuse and neglect prevention.
This year we have wonderful opportunities for you to help:
1. Terry Hall will be speaking to all Scott County District students in the first week of April. He spoke at District 1 in February. If you have not heard the information that he shares with all of our county’s students who are enrolled in either district, we invite you attend the Parent/Teacher/Community Member Evening Session on April 4 at 6 p.m. at Vienna Finley Elementary School.
2. Annual Prosecutor’s Luncheon– Wednesday, April 27 from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm at Grace Covenant Church. The Speaker is Colleen Yeakle from the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence. She will be speaking about ACE’s (adverse childhood experiences study) and creating supported childhood conditions (SSNRE’s Safe, Stable, Nurturing Relationships and Environments). Bernice with Leroys will cater the meal. RSVP to the Scott County Prosecutor’s Office to attend.
3. Blue Sunday– is April 24. National Day of Prayer for children
and their families. Churches are encouraged to acknowledge
Foster Parents and CASA for their amazing service for children. If any church would like a speaker, information for your bulletin, etc. Please let me Michelle Korty know.
4. Public Awareness– We are collecting kids shoes for the display on the courthouse lawn. The more beat up the better. We need 250 individual shoes. This number represents the number of children in substantiated cases of child abuse and/or neglect in 2015 in Scott County.
5. Pinwheels that we are requesting that you put up on your lawn or at your business/organization. Each kit includes Pinwheels and Signs that talk about how the blue pin wheel is a promise that every child should have a happy and safe childhood. A small kit is $30 and a large kit is $50. All donations help us bring programs like Terry Hall to our local school children. If you would like a Pinwheel Garden please let me know.
Michelle Korty, President
Prevent Child Abuse, Scott County Council, Inc.